Summary in simple terms that most members will understand:
1 We are a ‘bona fide’ providers of news and Continuing Medical Education for medical professionals
2 We will only use your data to be able to offer you access to our services
3 We do not share your data with anyone else and take all precautions in this respect
4 Certainly we will not sell your data
5 We do not collect any data which we do not really need for functioning of the services (we are too busy providing the service)
7 The only purpose we collect data is to optimise the service – i.e. give you the best experience.
8 We only collect data which you consent.. having said this, it may be that you may not really have the full benefit from the services if you do not consent provide correct information or do not accept cookies that are critical to the functioning of the sites
9 We will do our utmost to ensure that any data you provide is kept safe and secure. Although some services may involve on line payment, any payment is passed through trusted payment gateways such as PayPal or others – we do not collect or store any credit card or financial data
10 You can access your personal data through ‘myProfile’ links in the websites. Please make sure you review from time to time to ensure data is correct. Should you be in a position that you want to correct some data but have any difficulty doing so, please contact us
11 If you are in any way uncomfortable with terms of service, please do not use the services or ask us to delete your account.
Now for more detailed terminology:
Effective date: November 15, 2019
TheSynapse (“us”, “we”, or “our”) operates the thesynapse.net website and cme30.eu (hereinafter referred to as the “Service”).
This page informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have associated with that data.
Service is the thesynapse.net and cme30.eu websites operated by TheSynapse
Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
Cookies are small files stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
Data Controller means the natural or legal person who (either alone or jointly or in common with other persons) determines the purposes for which and the manner in which any personal information are, or are to be, processed.
Data Processors (or Service Providers)
Data Processor (or Service Provider) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller.
We may use the services of various Service Providers in order to process your data more effectively.
Data Subject (or User)
Data Subject is any living individual who is using our Service and is the subject of Personal Data.
Information Collection and Use
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
Types of Data Collected
While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
· Email address
· First name and last name
· Cookies and Usage Data
We may use your Personal Data to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or the instructions provided in any email we send.
We may also collect information on how the Service is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking Cookies Data
Cookies are files with a small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Other tracking technologies are also used such as beacons, tags and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyse our Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
Examples of Cookies we use:
· Session Cookies. We use Session Cookies to operate our Service.
· Preference Cookies. We use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
· Security Cookies. We use Security Cookies for security purposes.
· Advertising Cookies. Advertising Cookies are used to serve you with advertisements that may be relevant to you and your interests.
Use of Data
TheSynapse uses the collected data for various purposes:
· To provide and maintain our Service
· To notify you about changes to our Service
· To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so
· To provide customer support
· To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service
· To monitor the usage of our Service
· To detect, prevent and address technical issues
· To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
TheSynapse may process your Personal Data because:
· We need to perform a contract with you
· You have given us permission to do so
· The processing is in our legitimate interests and it is not overridden by your rights
· To comply with the law
Retention of Data
TheSynapse will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer periods.
Transfer of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to – and maintained on – computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside Malta and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to Malta and process it there.
Disclosure of Data
TheSynapse may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
· To comply with a legal obligation
· To protect and defend the rights or property of TheSynapse
· To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
· To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
· To protect against legal liability
Storage and Use of Information
Our Use of Personal Data. We may use Personal Data collected by us for the following purposes:
Our Products and Services
· to contact you if you have requested information or communication from us;
· to determine the country in which you are located for compliance purposes (including without limitation export compliance);
· and for security, anti-piracy, and fraud prevention purposes;
· to help verify that existing personal information about you in our possession is accurate and complete;
· to provide you with product updates and upgrades, special offers, pricing information, newsletters, and other information, either on our own behalf or in some cases on behalf of a partner or client acting as their agent, where you have consented to receive it;
· to undertake any other promotional activities where you have previously consented to such promotional activities;
· in connection with keys, access codes or other information as may be required to permit you to access the Websites or services of our partners to receive products, updates or services;
· for the purposes identified in a specific Supplemental Privacy Notice posted on the page or area of this Ecommerce Engine where you provided that information;
· to verify compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations;
· to provide you, to the extent permitted by law, with a personalized shopping experience;
· to establish an account for future purchases by you if you have consented to the creation of an account;
· to provide you with effective customer service (which may to the extent and in a manner permitted by applicable law, include contacting visitors who commence but do not complete a checkout process to follow up on the incomplete session or to see if there was a problem with their use of this Ecommerce Engine), and/or technical support;
· We may send you email marketing communication about FastSpring products and services, invite you to participate in our events or surveys, or otherwise communicate with you for marketing purposes, provided that we do so in accordance with the consent requirements that are imposed
by applicable law. You may opt out of receiving marketing communication at any time.
· When you visit our sites or online services, both we and certain third parties may collect information about your online activities over time and across different sites to provide you with advertising about products and services tailored to your individual interests. These third parties may place or recognize a unique cookie or other technology on your browser (including the use of pixel tags). Where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent prior to processing of your information for the purpose of interest-based advertising. You may see our ads on other websites or mobile apps because we participate in advertising networks. Ad networks allow us to target our messaging to users based on a range of factors, including demographic data, users’ inferred interests and browsing context (for example, the time and date of your visit to our Sites, the pages that you viewed, and the links that you clicked on). This technology also helps us track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts and understand if you have seen one of our advertisements.
If you visit the Ecommerce Engine for the purposes of conducting a purchase transaction in cme30.eu, we require and will process certain of your Personal Data for the purposes listed below in order for us to perform our obligations under such purchase transaction and corresponding contract. If you do not provide the required Personal Data, you will be unable to complete such purchase transaction on this Ecommerce Engine:
o to take, verify, process or deliver your order, process or obtain payment, verify your tax or tax exempt status, contest chargebacks, determine your eligibility for a line of credit, or notify you of the status of your order;
o to register your purchase with the manufacturer or service provider for warranty, technical support or similar purposes;
o to provide notice of your purchase to the provider of an online service for which you purchase a service use right from us, for example, in order for the service provider to enable your access to the service and provide updates; and
o to facilitate the renewal of subscriptions for products or services.
Our Use of Anonymous Information. We may use anonymous information (i.e. information that does not allow direct or indirect identification of the individual to whom such information relates) collected by us:
· to personalize and support your use of this Ecommerce Engine, our services, and/or the services of our partners;
· to improve this Ecommerce Engine, the customer experience, our advertising systems, and our products and services;
· for fraud prevention purposes, such as device fingerprinting;
· to identify actions or transactions as originating through an affiliate marketing or referral program;
· to deliver targeted advertisements on this Ecommerce Engine and other Websites and/or ecommerce solutions;
· to provide reporting to our current and prospective partners and service providers; and
· for statistical or research and analysis purposes.
Security of Data
Security of Information
We are committed to keeping Personal Data secure. We have implemented physical, technical and administrative safeguards reasonably designed to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access and disclosure. If and when we collect or transmit sensitive information such as a financial account number, we use industry standard methods to protect that information. It is important that you understand, however, that no Ecommerce Engine, Website, database or system is completely secure or “hacker proof.” You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your Personal Data against unauthorized disclosure or misuse, for example, by protecting your password. Different countries have different privacy laws and requirements. Please know, however, that no matter where your Personal Data is collected, used, transferred or stored, if it was collected through this Ecommerce Engine, it will be protected by us in accordance with the terms of this Privacy Statement, any Supplemental Privacy Notices that apply to you, and applicable EU Data Protection Laws.
Your Data Protection Rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you have certain data protection rights. TheSynapse aims to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete or limit the use of your Personal Data.
If you wish to be informed about what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact us.
In certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
The right to access, update or delete the information we have on you. Whenever made possible, you can access, update or request deletion of your Personal Data directly within your account settings section. If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact us to assist you.
The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where TheSynapse relied on your consent to process your personal information.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
You have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA).
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service (“Service Providers”), provide the Service on our behalf, perform Service-related services or assist us in analysing how our Service is used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Currently, we use the following web tracking services:
Google Analytics: Google Analytics is a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies”, which are text files placed on your computer, to help the Website analyze how users use the site. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the Website will normally be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. In case of activation of the IP anonymization, Google will shorten the IP address in EU Member States or other countries of the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases, the full IP address is sent to a Google server in the US and shortened there. On behalf of the Website provider Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the Website, compiling reports on Website activity for Website operators and providing other services relating to Website activity and internet usage to the Website provider. Google will not associate the IP address transmitted by your browser with any other data stored by Google.
data collected by cookies and relating to your use of the Website (including your IP address) by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available under https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. Please note that on this Website, Google Analytics code is supplemented by “anonymizeIp”. This allows to process IP addresses in a shortened form to exclude direct reference to a specific person. For more information provided by Google: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en.
In any case, if you want to manage, deactivate or authorize the cookies, you can use the below links: · Internet Explorer : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies · Chrome : https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=en · Safari : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201265 · Mozilla : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences · Opera : http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.20/en/cookies.html
We may use third-party Service Providers to show advertisements to you to help support and maintain our Service.
Links to Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
Our Service does not address an
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Child has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
· By email: email@example.com
· By visiting this page on our website: thesynapse.net
· By phone number: +35679287749