Who we are
As an entity established in Malta, EU, the main privacy laws that are applicable to Us in so far as You are concerned, are as follows:
- The Maltese Data Protection Act (Chapter 586 of the Laws of Malta) as well as the various subsidiary legislation issued under the same – the ‘DPA’;
- The Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of Personal Data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) – the ‘GDPR’.
All the above, as may be amended from time to time, referred to together as the “Data Protection Laws”
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
While using Our Service, We may ask You to provide Us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify You. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Usage Data
Usage Data is collected automatically when using the Service.
Usage Data may include information such as Your Device’s Internet Protocol address (IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that You visit, the time and date of Your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
When You access the Service by or through a mobile device, We may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device You use, Your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of Your mobile device, Your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser You use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
We may also collect information that Your browser sends whenever You visit our Service or when You access the Service by or through a mobile device.
For users that register on our website, we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time. Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
- Flash Cookies.Certain features of our Service may use local stored objects (or Flash Cookies) to collect and store information about Your preferences or Your activity on our Service. Flash Cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as those used for Browser Cookies. For more information on how You can delete Flash Cookies, please read “Where can I change the settings for disabling, or deleting local shared objects?” available at https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html#main_Where_can_I_change_the_settings_for_disabling__or_deleting_local_shared_objects_
- Web Beacons.Certain sections of our Service and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit Us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a certain section and verifying system and server integrity).
Cookies can be “Persistent” or “Session” Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on Your personal computer or mobile device when You go offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as You close Your web browser. You can learn more about cookies here: All About Cookies by TermsFeed.
We use both Session and Persistent Cookies for the purposes set out below:
- Necessary / Essential Cookies
Type: Session Cookies
Administered by: Us
Purpose: These Cookies are essential to provide You with services available through the Website and to enable You to use some of its features. They help to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. Without these Cookies, the services that You have asked for cannot be provided, and We only use these Cookies to provide You with those services.
- Cookies Policy / Notice Acceptance Cookies
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: Us
- Functionality Cookies
Type: Persistent Cookies
Administered by: Us
Purpose: These Cookies allow us to remember choices You make when You use the Website, such as remembering your login details or language preference. The purpose of these Cookies is to provide You with a more personal experience and to avoid You having to re-enter your preferences every time You use the Website.
Why We need Your Personal Data
We may use Your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service, including to monitor the usage of our Service The processing of such data shall be based on necessity for the performance of a contract.
- To manage Your Account:to manage Your registration as a user of the Service. The Personal Data You provide can give You access to different functionalities of the Service that are available to You as a registered user. The processing of such data shall be based on necessity for the performance of a contract.
- For the performance of a contract:the development, compliance and undertaking of the purchase contract for the products, items or services You have purchased or of any other contract with Us through the Service. The processing of such data shall be based on necessity for the performance of a contract.
- To contact You:To contact You by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication, such as a mobile application’s push notifications regarding updates or informative communications related to the functionalities, products or contracted services, including the security updates, when necessary or reasonable for their implementation. The processing of such data shall be based on Your consent where it is required and You have provided such consent or on Our legitimate interest where We do not need Your consent.
- To provide Youwith news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless You have opted not to receive such information. The processing of such data shall be based on Your consent where it is required and You have provided such consent or on Our legitimate interest where We do not need Your consent.
- To manage Your requests:To attend and manage Your requests to Us. The processing of such data shall be based on necessity for the performance of a contract.For business transfers: We may use Your information to evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by Us about our Service users is among the assets transferred. The processing of such data shall be based on our legitimate interests to facilitate such acquisitions, mergers, transfers, ec.
- For other purposes: We may use Your information for other purposes based on our legitimate interest, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our Service, products, services, marketing and your experience.
We may share Your personal information in the following situations:
- With Service Providers:We may share Your personal information with Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Service.
- With business partners:We may share Your information with Our business partners to offer You certain products, services or promotions. This shall be based on Your consent.
- With Law Enforcement: Under certain circumstances, We may be required to disclose Your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court, the police or a government agency).
- With other users:when You share personal information or otherwise interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside.
- With Your consent: We may disclose Your personal information as indicated above or for any other purpose with Your consent.
- Other legal requirements: We may disclose Your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Protect and defend Our rights or property
- Prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with Our products and/or services
- Protect Your personal safety or the general public
- Protect against Our legal liability
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Retention of Your Personal Data
We will retain Your Personal Data only for as long as is necessary (taking into consideration the purpose for which they were originally obtained). The criteria We use to determine what is ‘necessary’ depends on the particular Personal Data in question and the specific relationship We have with You (including its duration).
Our normal practice is to determine whether there is/are any specific EU and/or Maltese law(s) (for example tax or corporate laws) permitting or even obliging Us to keep certain Personal Data for a certain period of time (in which case We will keep the Personal Data for the maximum period indicated by any such law). For example, any data that can be deemed to be ‘accounting records’ must be kept for ten (10 years).
We would also have to determine whether there are any laws and/or contractual provisions that may be invoked against Us by You and/or third parties and if so, what the prescriptive periods for such actions are (this is usually five (5) years in those cases where Our contractual relationship with You terminates or two (2) years in those cases where no such contractual relationship exists). In this case, We will keep any relevant Personal Data that We may need to defend Ourselves against any claim(s), challenge(s) or other such action(s) by You and/or third parties for such time as is necessary.
We will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of Our Service, or We are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Where Your Personal Data are no longer required by Us, We will either securely delete or anonymise the Personal Data in question.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
As a general rule, the data We process about You (collected via the Site, any of our Apps or otherwise) will be stored and processed within the European Union (EU)/European Economic Area (EEA) or any other non-EEA country deemed by the European Commission to offer an adequate level of protection (the so-called ‘white-listed’ countries, including the UK, listed here: https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection_en).
Security of Your Personal Data
The security of Your Personal Data is important to Us but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While We strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect Your Personal Data, We cannot guarantee its absolute security.
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE DATA PROTECTION LAWS
Before addressing any request You make with Us, We may first need to verify Your identity. In all cases We will try to act on Your requests as soon as reasonably possible.
As explained in the Retention Periods section above, We may need to keep certain Personal Data for compliance with Our legal retention obligations but also to complete transactions that You requested prior to the change or deletion that You requested.
Your various rights at law include:
Your Right of Access
You may, at any time request Us to confirm whether or not We are processing Personal Data that concerns You and, if We are, You shall have the right to access those Personal Data and to the following information:
- What Personal Data We have,
- Why We process them,
- Who We disclose them to,
- How long We intend on keeping them for (where possible),
- Whether We transfer them abroad and the safeguards We take to protect them,
- What Your rights are,
- How You can make a complaint,
- Where We got Your Personal Data from and
- Whether We have carried out any automated decision-making (including profiling) as well as related information.
Upon request, We shall (without adversely affecting the rights and freedoms of others including Our own) provide You with a copy of the Personal Data undergoing processing within one month of receipt of the request, which period may be extended by two months where necessary, taking into account the complexity and number of the requests. We shall inform You of any such extension within one month of receipt of the request, together with the reasons for the delay.
Your Right to Rectification
You have the right to ask Us to rectify inaccurate Personal Data and to complete incomplete Personal Data concerning You. We may seek to verify the accuracy of the data before rectifying it.
Your Right to Erasure (The Right to be Forgotten)
You have the right to ask Us to delete Your Personal Data and We shall comply without undue delay but only where:
- The Personal Data are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected; or
- You have withdrawn Your consent (in those instances where We process on the basis of Your consent) and We have no other legal ground to process Your Personal Data; or
- You shall have successfully exercised Your right to object (as explained below); or
- Your Personal Data shall have been processed unlawfully; or
- There exists a legal obligation to which We are subject; or
- Special circumstances exist in connection with certain children’s rights.
In any case, We shall not be legally bound to comply with Your erasure request if the processing of Your Personal Data is necessary:
- for compliance with a legal obligation to which We are subject (including but not limited to Our data retention obligations); or
- for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
There are other legal grounds entitling Us to refuse erasure requests although the two instances above are the most likely grounds that may be invoked by Us to deny such requests.
Your Right to Data Restriction
You have the right to ask Us to restrict (that is, store but not further process) Your Personal Data but only where:
- The accuracy of Your Personal Data is contested (see the right to data rectification above), for a period enabling Us to verify the accuracy of the Personal Data; or
- The processing is unlawful and You oppose the erasure of Your Personal Data; or
- We no longer need the Personal Data for the purposes for which they were collected but You need the Personal Data for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or
- You exercised Your right to object and verification of Our legitimate grounds to override Your objection is pending.
Following Your request for restriction, except for storing Your Personal Data, We may only process Your Personal Data:
- Where We have Your consent; or
- For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or
- For the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person; or
- For reasons of important public interest.
Your Right to Data Portability
You have the right to ask Us to provide Your Personal Data (that You shall have provided to Us) to You in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format, or (where technically feasible) to have it ‘ported’ directly to another data controller, provided this does not adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others. This right shall only apply where:
- The processing is based on Your consent or on the performance of a contract with You; and
- The processing is carried out by automated means.
Your Right to Withdraw Consent (when We rely on consent)
For the avoidance of all doubt, We would like to point out that in those limited cases where We cannot or choose not to rely on another legal ground (for example, Our legitimate interests), We will process Your Personal Data on the basis of Your consent.
In those cases where We process on the basis of Your consent (which We will never presume but which We shall have obtained in a clear and manifest manner from You), YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WITHDRAW YOUR CONSENT AT ANY TIME and this, in the same manner as You shall have provided it to Us.
Should You exercise Your right to withdraw Your consent at any time (by writing to Us at the physical or email address below), We will determine whether at that stage an alternative legal basis exists for processing Your Personal Data (for example, on the basis of a legal obligation to which We are subject) where We would be legally authorised (or even obliged) to process Your Personal Data without needing Your consent and if so, notify You accordingly.
When We ask for such Personal Data, You may always decline, however should You decline to provide Us with necessary data that We require to provide requested services, We may not necessarily be able to provide You with such services (especially if consent is the only legal ground that is available to Us).
Just to clarify, consent is not the only ground that permits Us to process Your Personal Data. In the ‘Why We need Your Personal Data’ section above We pointed out the various grounds that We rely on when processing Your Personal Data for specific purposes.
Your Right to Object to Certain Processing
In those cases where We only process Your Personal Data when this is 1.) necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or 2.) when processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Us or by a third party, You shall have the right to object to processing of Your Personal Data by Us. Where an objection is entered, the processing of data shall cease, unless We as data controller provide compelling and legitimate grounds requiring the continuation of the data processing which outweigh the objections You may have raised.
When Your data is processed for direct marketing purposes, You have the right to object at any time to the processing of Your Personal Data, which includes profiling to the extent that it is related to such direct marketing.
For the avoidance of all doubt, when We process Your Personal Data when this is necessary for the performance of a contract, when necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which We are subject or when processing is necessary to protect Your vital interests or those of another natural person, this general right to object shall not subsist.
Your Right to lodge a Complaint
You also have the right to lodge complaints with the appropriate Data Protection Supervisory Authority. The competent authority in Malta is the Office of the Information and Data Protection Commissioner (OIDPC).
We kindly ask that You please attempt to resolve any issues You may have with Us first (even though, as stated above, You have a right to contact the competent authority at any time).
We only send mail, messages and other communications relating to marketing where We are authorised to do so at law. In most cases We rely on Your consent to do so (especially where We use electronic communications) but where available, we also rely on soft-opt in (and on the basis of our legitimate interests). If, at any time, You no longer wish to receive direct marketing communications from Us please let Us know by contacting Us at the details below or update Your preferences on any of Our Site(s) or Apps (where applicable).
In the case of direct marketing sent by electronic communications (where We are legally authorised to do so) You will be given an easy way of opting out (or unsubscribing) from any such communications.
We will never send you marketing material on behalf of third parties or share your details with third parties for their marketing purposes without your express prior consent (OPT-IN).
Please note that even if You withdraw any consent You may have given Us or if You object to receiving such direct marketing material from Us (in those cases where We do not need Your consent), from time to time We may still need to send You certain important communications from which You cannot opt-out.
When you give us your consent for us to share your personal data (which will be indicated) with particular sponsors, these sponsors and/or specific entities as we may indicate to you will act as a separate data controller with respect to such data once it receives the same from us. Should you wish to stop receiving marketing material from such separate data controllers , you would need to contact the sponsor directly by writing to it at an address that we will provide to you or by clicking ‘unsubscribe’ in any email the same sponsor may send directly to you.
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated 7 October 2021